Pre-Dissertation Research Grant
IIS will grant a number of fellowships of up to $5000 for graduate students who have not yet advanced to candidacy by 08/15/2017. This funding is intended to support initial fieldwork by graduate students during Summer 2017. In line with the Institute’s mission to support international and comparative research at UC Berkeley, projects should be international and/or comparative in nature, and/or related to the study of languages, and/or involve substantial research outside of the United States. Fellowship funds are intended to support travel, lodging, and research-related expenditures for graduate students who are conducting research away from campus. International students enrolled in doctoral programs at UC Berkeley are particularly encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to students who cannot apply for other sources of funding within the United States.
Students should submit the following materials in support of their application:
- A 2-page description of the proposed research;
- An unofficial UC Berkeley transcript;
- A one-page travel budget;
- A letter from the Department Chair or Graduate Advisor certifying that the applicant’s funding for Summer 2017 does not exceed $5000, emailed directly to iis.grants [at] berkeley.edu;
- One letter of reference from a faculty member, emailed directly to iis.grants [at] berkeley.edu.
The application webform can be found here.
This grant is intended for Ph.D students who have not yet advanced to candidacy by 08/15/2017. Preference will be given to international students who cannot apply for other sources of funding within the United States.
Up to $5000. University policy states that a student cannot receive more than $34,000 in stipend funding during the 12-month academic year (Fall, Spring, and the following Summer).
Friday, January 20, 2017.